Do you want to empower at-risk families who are experiencing homelessness? Then check us out!
We are hiring!
Looking for a fun, energetic team to make a difference in the community while serving families who are experiencing homelessness? Join our Team at Bethany House Services. We need YOU!
Shelter Assistant Coordinator
We are looking for a member to join the Emergency Shelter Department. You will be responsible for supervising the direct care staff in our agency serving homeless families. You will collaborate with the Shelter Operations Director and the Shelter Assistants to guarantee consistent, safe and reliable shelter on a 24 hour/7 day per week basis. The direct care staff have a dual role of managing the day-to-day logistical and support needs of a residential population under stress as well as performing various custodial and customer service needs of the same clientele. You will primarily work with the Shelter Operations Director to hire, schedule, supervise and coach the direct care staff. You will also assist with supplies inventory and policies and procedure development as well as day-to-day problem solving.
The successful candidate should have the ability to understand and function in multiple roles geared toward safety, security, support and self-sufficiency for the clients. You must have post high school education. An Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Human Services, Hospitality or related field is a plus. You must have 3-5 years of supervisory experience. Working in an environment with at-risk families is a plus.
We are looking for two individuals who are willing to work 12 hour shifts. You will work with the social services team to oversee the operation of the Bond Hill shelter and for ensuring a safe environment supervising guests, guest orientations, exit interviews and room checks. You will be responsible for communicating with co-workers to ensure continuity between shifts. Responsibilities also include general cleaning, minor maintenance and preparation of rooms for all shelter participants. You will be responsible for communicating Policies/procedures and house activities to families and communicating with other Bethany House Shelter staff members.
- High School Diploma or equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- At least two years of working experience with the homeless population is preferred.
- Understand and have demonstrated de-escalating techniques which includes effective listening skills.
- Ability to maintain clear personal and professional boundaries.
- Excellent customer services skills: demonstrated ability to work with clients.
- Good judgment so you can respond to emergencies or difficult situations.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Products.
- Good instructional skills to be able to explain things in terms that young children can understand.
- Interpersonal skills to work well with people
- Patience to be able to respond calmly to overwhelming and difficult situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with volunteers and in a team environment.
- Ability to problem solve and prioritize in emergency situations
- Physical stamina – lots of energy
- Must be able to complete a criminal background check and drug test.
On-Call Social Service Workers
You will work alongside other Social Service Workers to meet the needs of our clients. These positions are for 16-20 hours per week and are for 1st, 2nd or 3rd shift including weekends. You will be responsible for general operations of shelter to ensure safety and hospitality of clients/volunteers/staff; provide tours of the shelter when clients arrive; oversee shelter’s inventory of material needs and provide weekly needs list to Shelter Director.
The most successful candidates will have a High School Diploma and a valid driver’s license. Experience with the homeless population is a plus!
Under the direction of the Emergency Shelter Director or other appropriate Leadership staff, you will be responsible for hands-on maintenance, general maintenance and upkeep of buildings, grounds, and equipment for the Off-Site facilities and main campus. Responsible for maintaining electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and related systems. You will also be responsible for completing preventive maintenance schedules; restoring, repairing, rebuilding, or replacing faulty or inoperative components and parts.
The successful candidate must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in building maintenance and custodial; demonstrated success in general building repairs; successful experience in maintaining a safe building environment and demonstrated ability to work effectively with volunteers and in a team.
Qualified candidates should submit their resumes to
Mary Bennett Brown, Human Resources Director
Bethany House Services